Saturday, May 5, 2012

Crunch time

I made the announcement on Facebook but have neglected to post our news here on our good ol' blog for some strange reason, so let me share. We're moving. Back to Utah. Draper, to be exact. Chris recently interviewed and got a job offer with Ebay, so we're heading back to the Mountain West. We're excited to be starting a new adventure and phase of our life in a place that we love and have fond memories of. Utah's where we met, fell in love, got married, graduated from college and had our first child, so in a way, it's like going back to something familiar. It's going to be a hard transition for me though- I've come to love living on the east coast and Virginia has been good to us in many ways. I'm sad to leave my wonderful friends (beyond words) and sad to leave all the exciting things to do and see here in the DC area. There's so much that we thought we'd have time to do and now that we have about a month left here, we're trying to cram in as much as we can.

Chris took a day off this week and I decided we should spend it in the city even though half of us were sick at this point. Even a nasty cold couldn't keep us from marking a few things off my list. First up, a trip to Georgetown Cupcake, made famous by the TLC show DC Cupcake. We parked in Georgetown and it's so pretty I had to take some pictures along our walk to get cupcakes (at 10:30 in the morning).

We walked down these crazy stairs and Brendan was happy to pose for me. They were so steep I was a little scared he was going to fall and break his neck, but my dare-devil was happy to stand alone and even jump around more than I would have liked.

On the street getting closer to cupcake heaven.

And here's what we ended up getting. They were sooooooo good. I think I may have to make another trip because there are still so many flavors I want to try.

Brendan was totally into his cupcake. Seriously, his plain vanilla cupcake was delicious. It was one of my favorites.

My baby has my sweet tooth so he was happy to sample each cupcake. And make a mess in the process. But those cupcakes were worth it. The chocolate ganache was heavenly.

Next, we hit up the National Museum of Natural History. Brendan was so excited to see the dinosaurs and I was looking forward to the butterflies.


The Butterfly Pavilion was so awesome. There are hundreds of butterflies flitting around you and, if you're lucky, land on you. They didn't like us but it was so cool to watch them.

Alex was mesmerized by them.

Both boys were so good and didn't try to touch or grab them (which is against the rules) and they loved seeing all the different colors and sizes of butterflies. It was a really neat experience.


We hit up the dinosaurs next since Brendan had been talking about them all morning long. Alex was a little freaked out but Brendan was in his element. He was running from exhibit to exhibit and asking questions and soaking it all in.

After the dinosaurs, we checked out some other parts of the museum and had fun watching the boys enjoy themselves.


We were pretty worn out by that point and my cold medicine was wearing off so we headed home for a late lunch and quiet afternoon. It was a fantastic day and hopefully we have more of these in our last month here.

2 comments:

  1. I never noticed this before, but it appears we have three kids. At least he seems nice (elephant photo).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am thrilled to get to play with you again! I feel your pain about leaving the east coast. Enjoy every last second for me. But I'm going to get to play with you! You are going to miss Bekah by a few weeks--you may want to see if she wants to wait for you. I know she went to Salt Lake to visit in-laws, and she thinks she'll be there 'til the end of the month. I'll be coming to Utah on the weekend of June 14th, and I would love to play! Our Isaac and Brendan are going to have the time of their lives together, even if it's jumping up and down because they see an ant on the ground. Watching Brendan's preschool performance was a lot like watching Isaac's preschool performance. Thank goodness we got such exuberant kids.

    ReplyDelete