Saturday, May 15, 2010

I think I’ve created a monster

I mentioned before that I started rewarding Brendan with a car every time he successfully did #2 in the potty, and I think it’s gotten a little out of hand.

IMG_6407 I should note that many of these cars are not new; they’re ones that he’s owned for a while but his collection on a whole has spiraled out of control. He’s gotten to the point where he tries to force himself to go poop every time he uses the bathroom, and I can hear him grunting with effort of trying to force it out. Sometimes he’s successful in squeezing out a tiny one and he’ll come and tell me “Another car, Mommy”. We’ve cut him off of this habit and I don’t think he likes it.

But I have to say that his rewards worked though. He was so excited to go to the bathroom and he quickly transitioned into his underwear full-time. This whole experience has been a bit up and down but for the most part has been better than I was expecting. I think the cars helped a lot.

IMG_6380 For very special accomplishments (like lasting the whole 3 hours of church without an accident), Brendan would get a Cars figurine car and they are his pride and joy now.

IMG_6378 Again, this is something that we’ve stopped doing but has seemed to help him be more motivated about using the bathroom and going longer periods of time without accidents.

Now that we’ve made it through potty-training, the transition to a big boy bed is up next this summer. I’m hoping that that goes as well as potty-training did but I’m not looking forward to it. Again, if anyone has any tips or suggestions, let me know. I’m sure I’ll need them!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Valerie- That will be nice to have Bren-Bren all potty-trained before the next one comes...
    When we started spence on a big boy bed we set the mattress on the floor so if he rolled off it wouldn't be a big fall. Staying in bed when tucked in... no good advice.

    ReplyDelete