Monday, June 21, 2010

My So-Called Life

The heat here is really getting to me so all we seem to be doing lately is sitting inside my nice, cool, air conditioned house. I feel bad for Brendan since he deserves to be out playing and having fun but I’m just not up to it most of the time.

IMG_6517So we end up doing this a lot- me sitting on our porch in the shade while Brendan occupies himself.

IMG_6535  It’s so hot that I don’t even care when Brendan squirts me with his little water gun. In fact, I encourage him to squirt me to help cool me down.

IMG_6545 I’ve been doing some baking as well since I’m always in the mood to eat and Brendan helps by licking the bowl clean. He loves to help me bake and cook.

IMG_6552 I’ve been feeling guilty for not doing fun things this summer so I made Chris take us to a cute park that a friend told me about that has a short train ride and an awesome carousel for kids. Here we are enjoying the train ride. Brendan was so excited and loved when the train would blow its whistle. We even got to go through a tunnel and Brendan thought that was pretty cool too.

IMG_6568 The carousel was a big hit too. Brendan had so much fun and every time they circled around, he would wave happily to me. This is the second time he’s been on a carousel (the first was in Spokane- remember that, Angela!) and I think he enjoyed it a bit more this time.

IMG_6577 Once again, the heat got to me so we didn’t last very long. Brendan got to ride the train and carousel and play on the playground, and then it was back in the car to head home. Brendan didn’t seem to upset though- he was pretty worn out from all the excitement.

And we recently found out that Brendan officially qualifies for speech therapy through a local program in our school district called Child Find. It’s taken 4 months to go through all the assessments and meetings but it is finally official- the only down side is that we have to wait until school starts in September again. I hate waiting but I’m looking forward to Brendan getting some awesome help. He’s doing much better and is constantly talking and using new words, but now his big problem is articulation. I probably only understand him about 70% of the time and I’m his mom. So until we start his therapy, we’re trying to get him to pronounce things correctly and break some of his bad habits. The big one we’re working on is “daddy”- Brendan has a tendency to favor the “w” sound and so he says “da-wee” even though he can say it correctly. It’s getting really old correcting him over and over and over, but hopefully it makes a difference. I just love that he’s talking so much more and we’re now able to have little conversations together. It’s so cool. He surprised me the other day by pretending to ride the broom like a horse and saying “Yee-haw! Ride ‘em cowboy!” I have no idea where he picked that up from! And today he was talking about telescopes- also have no idea where that come from. But I love it.

1 comment:

  1. I have totally been doing the same thing with Hallie and sitting in the shade while she explores the ants and different bugs that call our grass home. We have also watched the same "mouse" movie 5-7 times. Poor kids when mommy is prego. I guess all the sweets we bake make up for it right?! haha

    I'm glad you got to go to Burke Lake park. My only complaint was that I wish the train ride was longer.

    ReplyDelete