Friday, December 28, 2007

The trip from you-know-where

Flying for us is usually not a problem but unfortunately this trip was not as smooth as normal. First, our flight was scheduled to leave Christmas morning at 7:15am, which means we had to wake up around 4:30am in order to arrive on time but Brendan decided to wake up all on his own at about 3:30am. Great. We also woke up to a few inches of snow fresh on the ground which were not plowed by the time we hit the road. So it took us about an hour to get to the airport where I discovered that I had left my purse sitting on the kitchen table. I could have died right there on the spot because Chris had even asked me before we left our parking lot if I had my ID. And of course, I took that to mean he thought I was stupid and irresponsible- which it turns out, I am.

In order to avoid outrageous charges for changing our flight, we had to be on the stand-by list for a flight at 2:30pm- the last flight American Airlines had to Chicago that day. I sure was praying that we would get on that flight and this time we left with my ID in hand. As the security person was checking my ID, she asks me, "Do you have a valid ID. This is expired." Great. At this point, I start to almost tear up. But luckily, they'll let you through but with extra security checks. They checked all our of carry-ons, I had to go through the "Puffer" (which puffs a bunch of air bursts at you and somehow detects explosive materials), and wait a horribly long time for them to find my ID. That's right- they lost my ID. Luckily they found it; one of the security people had forgotten to pass it along. But we made the flight and Brendan did exceptionally well. I couldn't believe it and we even made a new friend, Ram, who is from India originally but is now a doctor in Utah and teaches at the U of U- he was hillarious. All in all, it was a Christmas miracle we got here. Hopefully we can get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment